Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2022

Hot Springs, Arkansas - The Walks Along Central Avenue, Bathhouse Row, & The Promenade

 
After a morning routine of breakfast and spa time, the afternoons and early evenings are spent mostly walking.  We always stay at The Arlington Resort Hotel and Spa which is across the street from Hot Springs National Park.  This is the smallest National Park but it is full of interests.  Come along with me on a typical walk showing just the highlights of what is offered.  Every walk may be in the same places but every day has new memories added to the old.  We've been doing this for over 20 years in October mostly and I am never disappointed!




The first curb after crossing the street from The Arlington shows a typical blend of natural and man-made structures.  Slow down and watch your step!  You are in the South now and slow is what Southerners do very well.  The traffic may be heavy at times on Central Avenue in front of The Arlington.  Criss-crossing it back and forth between Bathhouse Row in the National Park and the eclectic shops and restaurants on the other side of the street is easy.  Traffic stops with manual signals at frequent crosswalks.  Here is where I make my decision to go left or right to access The Promenade.  Going left will put me where the upper tier paved walkway begins without stairs and continues behind Bathhouse Row.  There are several spurs to higher tiers and rougher trails as well as stairways and steps to come down to the street level all along the way.  This day I turn right to fill up my water bottles at the end of Bathhouse Row.



I always bring my old hemp shoulder sling bag to fill up water bottles with the hot mineral water from one of two close public water stations.  I am always sipping throughout my waking hours.  I make sure the containers are full last thing of the day also when I go back to my room.  I also drink the hot mineral water during the spa process each morning that is provided in the spa.



This public water station is smaller of the two water accesses.  The one pictured here is located in front of the Park Administration Building  and  the other one is close by in a large parking lot with many more faucets.  The other one also is the location of the best public restrooms and free tourist information with attendants available to answer questions and guide.  Many people load up containers of all sizes into their vehicles at the other location to take home.  The thermal mineral water is highly prized and protected.  It belongs to all of us.


The building that is located at the end of Bathhouse Row is the Park Administrative Building for the Hot Springs National Park.


I always enjoy photographing this fountain every year as it allows an up close experience to feel and see the thermal waters.  I try to breath in the steam and allow it to give me a natural facial whenever I pass by which is often.


Behind this fountain is the other end of the paved Promenade.  The tall building to the rear is the most interesting historical landmark in Arkansas.  In 1897 the Army-Navy Hospital was built peaking activity during World War II when over 100,000 veterans were served.  In 1960 it became a rehabilitation center run by the State of Arkansas.  Today it is home to the Arkansas Career Training Institute.  

At this point I decide if I want to walk to the right and climb the steps to  The Promenade for a walk or go to the left along Central Avenue.



From this location is one end of Bathhouse Row. You can see the tall building between the magnolia trees and the bathhouses on the right which is The Arlington where we stay.  Cross Central Avenue and you have all the best shops and restaurants to the left.



The next few photos were taken while walking The Promenade.  I have taken so many photographs over the years that can be seen in all of the other blog posts I posted about Hot Springs.  So I have just included a few highlights here.  It had begun to drizzle a little which really pops out the colors and gives the area an appropriate "wet" feel as natural steam can be seen coming out of the ground in many places.  






In between the bathhouses from the rear perspective can be seen many of the roof top restaurants and bars that are lit up in the evening.  This is a view of The Waters roof top cafe and bar.




Close up of one of many points along The Promenade where the thermal mineral water flows naturally.


View of The Arlington from The Promenade in the evening.






The Promenade is always well lit with beautiful street lamps and the magnolia leaves sometimes softly reflect the steam in the air.

There are eight bathhouses on Bathhouse Row all located in the National Park and federally protected and regulated.  We have seen so many changes since we first started coming here in the mid-1990s and most years since 2000.  Some of my older blog posts may show some of the earlier photos and tell about what was going on at that time we visited over the years.  I do remember a time early on when just the Buckstaff and Fordyce were open to the public but were in a constant remodeling process.  Every year we were thrilled to see and follow the progress of restoration on our daily walks. All the Bathhouses are open now to the public except the Hale which is vacant but available for business.  It's come a long way for sure!

Here are the most recent photos and a little about what is going on with the bathhouses now.  This one link about the bathhouses on Bathhouse Row  is a great source available to find more details but there is so much more to google as your interest dictates.






The Lamar Bathhouse (built 1923) is the location of the Bathhouse Row Emporium where the best Hot Springs gifts can be bought and your National Parks Book can be stamped as it is run by the National Parks.


The Buckstaff Bathhouse (built1912) is the only bathhouse that has been continuously run as a bathhouse since 1912.  They take walk-ins with no appointments on a first come first serve basis.



The Ozark Bathhouse (1922) is a Cultural Center 



The Quapaw Bathhouse (1922) offers public, private, and modern spa services by appointment.



The Fordyce Bathhouse (1915) is the Park Visitor Center.  It has been restored to the original state so the visitor can see what is was like.  There are no bath services available.



The Maurice Bathhouse (1912) is currently vacant and available for commercial leasing.



Fountain and grand stairways lead to the middle of The Promenade from Bathhouse Row.  There are also stairway trails to reach upper levels beyond The Promenade from this point.  It is located between the Fordyce and Maurice Bathhouses.



The Hale Bathhouse (1892) is the oldest bathhouse and has been remodeled into a luxury hotel that includes thermal baths.


The Superior Bathhouse (1916) is home to the only brewery in a U.S. National Park and the only brewery in the world to use thermal waters to make beer.



View towards The Arlington from in front of the Superior Bathhouse; one end of Bathhouse Row.



Also in front of the Superior Bathhouse looking to the other end of Bathhouse Row.



This photo shows the sidewalk area between The Hot Springs National Park sign and one end of The Promenade access across from The Arlington.  Between the Superior Bathhouse and The Arlington is the largest open National Park area on the street level.  Magnolia trees line Central Avenue and are in peak bloom in June.  They fill the area with their scent and are intoxicating!  In October, the camellias take their turn for blooming and awesome scent.  They can be found all over the landscaped park along with many other plants.



The largest thermal water open area is located in this landscaped park.  From the bottom you can look up the hill to The Promenade and see the hot water as it comes out of the ground and fills the enclosed pool.



One of my favorite photo spots every year.  You can always find someone willing to take your picture especially if you also take theirs!  Good spot to sit and relax on the many benches provided.  A good spot to visit with strangers or just people watch.  I've never seen an unhappy or unfriendly face here!  

I like to think it is a place of peace where the 4000 year old ancient waters come back around to join with the earth's current inhabitants again to check on how they are doing.  I feel the power of nature's existence here and contemplate that no matter how people treat the earth, it will always return renewed and ready to heal in its forgiveness.  It will cleanse us of all the nonsense we manage to come up with to stress ourselves out or that happens in our world.  We can begin again.  It feels like home on earth for my soul.   Taking The Waters is what I do every year.  It is here for everyone.



I can sit and watch this sight for a long time. The 5 senses come alive!



It is a gathering place.



It is a gift that I appreciate.


The view from behind the Hot Springs National Park sign that began this post as we come full circle as does the water itself!  

No comments:

Post a Comment