Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2022

Hot Springs, Arkansas - Our Favorite Restaurants & Shops




 
Our new favorite restaurant this trip is The Avenue located on the main floor of The Waters just a short walk from The Arlington and next to The Ohio Club.  Every year the restaurants and shops come and go. Since we last came in 2019 before COVID, we have seem more changes.  Many of the old buildings are being renovated.  It is good to find new places and see some of the old ones we always enjoyed keep up with the times.





Keith had a generous portion of a  pork shank which was served over spinach and bacon polenta.  The pork fell apart at touch and the polenta was sweet and creamy!



I had the perfect filet mignon and very large creamed shrimp over garlic mashed potatoes.  A wonderful Surf & Turf!




The roof top view was amazing!  It was one of the taller buildings on Central Avenue and The Arlington was seen as it sets against the hill background.  This cafe/bar area wraps all around for a full panoramic view!


This view shows a couple of the bath houses on Bath House Row with the National Park grounds behind them.



More bath houses can be seen here on Bath House Row with a nice view of the magnificent magnolia trees in front along Central Avenue.





Keith is very happy we found such a good restaurant this trip especially when a couple of our old stand-by favorite restaurants had closed since we were here a few years ago.



One of our old stand-byes will probably never go out of business and that's The Ohio Club.  They have managed to keep the Al Capone gangster atmosphere alive that this city has cashed in on in recent years and expanded greatly.  It had always been a part of this city's history and with the museum opening up and expanding, many more businesses are capitalizing on the popularity of this era of crime.  At least we have noticed more people talking about it especially in the more recent years as some of the local "gangsters" and their families have aged out. Check out the menu on their website with their cleverly named foods and don't forget to read some of the history too!  It is Arkansas's Oldest Bar since 1905!  Yes, it was open during prohibition in their own way.



Margarita 



I had The Ohio Burger with a side salad.   All burgers are made from custom blended beef served on a freshly baked bun.  


Keith had the Black & Bleu Cheeseburger with French Fries.


The front of The Ohio Club has the bar area as viewed from the upper  open level we sat.


Our view of the band area from where we sat in the upper open level.  There is live music here regularly.



The Ohio Club is one of my Happy Places to eat but I have to really be hungry!  I always like to leave some room for a stop at Kilwins on our walk back to The Arlington.  There I always find some wonderful fresh made sweet to eat or choose from a variety of hard ice cream flavors to enjoy.  Another new place we found several blocks away but okay to walk was the Hungry Greek.  I didn't see any meals that appealed to me on this trip but it was worth checking out for the Baklava which I bought a few to go to eat later on The Arlington porch with some wine.

We have always brought a variety of snacks with us including favorite cheeses, nuts, crackers, and whatever will satisfy between meals or at  least cover one meal a day to save on expenses.  The Spa Experience decreases the appetite for us but we are certainly more selective when we are hungry and enjoy the food more!

Besides eating, we also enjoy walking down Central Avenue to shop.  The eclectic and unique shops drawn you in from the sidewalk with their open doors.  The shops cover several blocks across the National Park's Bath House Row.  The best shop for relevant Hot Springs souvenirs is the National Parks Store on Bath House Row.  I am quite fond of magnolia-scented body creams.  I always find a robe, cup, magnet, stuffed animal, book, hat, bath products, or T-shirt here each year.  They always change things up but my magnolia products are always available because it is the signature southern scent associated with Hot Springs!

I am always fond of the so called "Rock Shops." We start at the Scenic 7 Gift Shop on the way here near Jasper.  There's also Miller's Rock Shop in Jessieville.  It's About Rocks is right here on Central Avenue.  The very best deals and large selection can always be found at Coleman's Rock Shop which we always stop on our way home located on Scenic 7 a few miles north of Hot Springs.  The have a large store with reasonably priced items as well as a huge outdoor yard for every rock you can ever imagine!

I always find something that comes home with me!  This beautiful Celestite stone talked to me as soon as I walked by and beckoned me back to hold it several times as I tried to look at all the Desoto Rock & Gift Shop had to offer.  It is a beautiful blue/gray color and now sets on my night stand.






No comments:

Post a Comment