Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2022

Hot Springs, Arkansas - The Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa

The Arlington Resort and Spa has been the only place we stay in Hot Springs, Arkansas since we first started coming in the mid-1990s and continued most years since.   There has always been some kind of remodeling or renovation ongoing.  It is such a historical grand old dame that many people love and cherish.  This year one of the towers had just been completed and they were working on the other which was completed the week after we came back home.  The front steps are halfway complete but covered up and blocked off as final details come together.  Then the other half will be closed for repairs.  I am never annoyed with any inconveniences but instead appreciate that this Southern Premier Historic Resort is very much considered an American Treasure since 1875.

I have wrote about our stays here many times in greater detail over the past 11 years in this blog including many photos.  Here I will try to capture what was important to me most on this trip and maybe a little different than what I had included before.  Although nothing always stays the same, The Arlington comes pretty close especially in being a classy place to stay.  We have always been treated well here by the friendly and efficient staff.  This southern hospitality is especially noticed when everyone doesn't seem to get in any hurry and I like that.  One definitely has to "gear down" soon after arrival or get stressed.  It is after all, a Spa Community.


Towers and front steps in process of renovation



The lawn area just left of the front steps is a popular spot for buskers.  This weekend had a young musician all day just below my open window on the 5th floor playing a variety of Jimi Hendrix guitar.


 


The first tower was just completed before we arrived.



The second tower is near completion and was completed less than a week after we checked out.



The first thing we did when we arrived was to check in early on this Wednesday and get in the hot tub in the outside pool deck area built into a hill starting about five stories above ground.  We have always qualified for the 50+ package except maybe when we went a couple times in the mid-1990s.  It allows us to pick any available room for a 10% discount and includes free breakfast or buffet each morning in the grand dining room.  Outside temperatures here are typically two weeks warmer in season than where we live six hours north in Missouri.  It was in the mid-70s today.  We were on the fifth floor and could access the multi-pool area easily down the hall any time of day or night.



This view was taken by me from the roof top restaurant of The Waters Hotel about a block away.  There's a whole community of open roof top businesses that can be seen from this perspective especially when lit up at night.


The Spa is an important part of our decision to choose The Arlington for our stay.  There is a variety of services available by appointment.  I filled up each morning we were here.  Keith and I both enjoy the thermal bath treatments everyday which are located on the third floor and I added a massage to all my services called The Works.  I also added a pedicure which included an additional leg/foot massage and paraffin wrap one day.  Another day I added a rose mud body wrap and facial.  The men's side of the thermal bath never needed an appointment.  The lower level is the place for full spa services listed on their website.  It used to have boutique shops and more but that has changed to expand the spa services.



My new color matches the color of the Norton wine I brought with me from Seven Springs Winery in Missouri.



Just a framed selfie before entering the 3rd floor Bath House by the elevator.  Our room was on the 5th floor.  I did the thermal bath and massage every morning for four days in a row.  That process takes about two hours after breakfast.  I'm out before noon or about noon when I added more services.



Through the door and up the stairs to the front desk; men on one side, women on the other.  A variety of scented bath salts were available for purchase to add.  I like it natural.  102-4 degrees thermal mineral waters is piped in directly without any added chemicals.  It comes out of the ground at 143 degrees and must be cooled down through a massive waterworks plant in the National Park that protects this ancient 4,000 year old water source. It is highly regulated to protect this National Treasure and is the smallest National Park.  It was the first land area established as a reserve and protected by the federal government 40 years before Yellowstone National Park.  It is the oldest area in the National Park system and became a National Park in 1921.  It is just across the street from The Arlington which is not in the park and includes Bath House Row which is in the park and highly regulated.



Of course, no photos allowed past this point.  There's a great description of the thermal bath process on their website as well as included in at least one other blog I posted over the years we have been coming here.  Some things have changed, but most has remained the same.  The two changes I miss the most are the body scrubs and the cold needle showers.  COVID changed that.  Two attendants were still familiar after all these years.  One was Susan who had been here for 26 years! I always liked her kindness and genuine love of what she does and she does it well!  



The last three photos of The Arlington were taken at night from nearby perspectives and the wonderfully inviting front porch that is great anytime of day or night for people watching and feeling the pulse of the city from a safe spot.





Front porch area of The Arlington where we mostly sit and sip wine as we look out over the busy city activities and traffic on Central Avenue. 



The other side of the front porch which faces the park and is quieter.



Inside the front lobby were decorations for Halloween with this display in the center enclosed by tables with contest entries for the best decorated pumpkins by each of the hotel departments.  There's always something going on in the lobby with live entertainment on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment