Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Spring to Mid-Summer Garden and Landscape

Cut Flowers on July 1, 2013
Today is a good day to stay inside and write about our gardens and landscape since it is raining.  Otherwise, I would be outside enjoying and maintaining our efforts done this season.  I think this is the best year yet.  Of course, most years I say that as I see steady progress since we moved here in 1986.  There was never a specific plan but the evolution from a rocky hilltop to lush terraced gardens came from love and creativity developed through intuition shared by two people with a strong desire to grow.  We never considered it work although it did take a lot of labor...a labor of love!

Memorial Weekend - front view with one of four pickup loads of mulch ready to be laid down around landscape.




Backyard view shows Old Lily Garden that had been dug up last fall and bulbs separated.  I planted the excess bulbs in two other garden areas; one below the carport and the other next to the shed.  The New Lily Garden was planted with highly scented new bulbs that began to bloom in late July.

Backyard view from shed with veggie gardens to the right.  New young bobtail cat decided he wants to live here and I began feeding him in July.  His name is Bobi.


Backyard view from carport shows new tropical cannas, poppies, hollyhocks along with old excess lilies.  Veggie gardens are on the left.


Backyard view in the shed area shows New Iris Garden below the old roses.  To the right of the path is another Old Lily bed filled with excess Old Lilies.  Hollyhocks and Yuccas fill the lower end of the yard.

From the beginning, my goal has been to have something in bloom from early Spring until a hard freeze   which for Missouri is mid-October.  In an earlier blog, I showed some of what early Spring was growing in our gardens.  In this blog, I will show what was in bloom June and July some of which will continue until the hard freeze.  The biggest additions in 2013 are the New Iris' and the New Lilies.  I will start with Self-Seeding, Annuals (plant every year), Perennials (will come back every year), then show all Iris' and then all Lilies which are bulbs that need to be divided every 5 years or so.

Blanket Flower - perennial

Container Plants - Annuals: Wave Purple Petunias, Variegated Sweet Potato Vine, Yellow Petunias, Elephant Ear.  Blooming Creeping Thyme in the cracks of the brick patio.

Hollyhocks - Double-Pink,  Self-Seeding

Tall Hollyhock Garden - Self-Seeding

Hollyhocks - Dark Red (Black), Self-Seeding

Double Hollyhocks - Fuscia, Self-Seeding

Hollyhocks - Magenta, Self-Seeding

Hollyhocks - Magenta, Self-Seeding

Hollyhocks - Pink, Self-Seeding

Silver Lace Vine - Perennial grows all over the walkway arbor.  This is in it's 3rd year and growing in the poorest soil with little to no care given.  It puts down a very deep root and is very fragrant.

Yellow Lantana and Purple Wave Petunia - both annuals

Lavender - Perennial

Mandevilla Vine - Annual growing up front yard fence and bluebird house.  Grows very fast with large blooms!

Pansies - Annual

Pansy Bed surrounds new Pink Dogwood Tree in front yard.

Prickly Pear Flowering Cactus is a Missouri native perennial.  Location is front yard in front of the fence that gets no watering.

Prickly Pear Cactus is a perennial located below the flag in the front yard fence area.

Snapdragons - Considered an annual but in a protected area will come back the next year.  This is the 2nd year.
Tall Garden Phlox - Perennial


Spiderwort - Perennial Native Missouri Wildflower.  There are many other wildflowers that have been re-planted in a new garden area after removing a large cedar tree last Fall.  It will be another 2-3 years before all wildflowers are established.  Others that look good like the Spiderwort this year are the Lamb's Ear and Shasta Daisies.



The earliest bulbs to bloom are the Iris'.  I have Old Iris and New Iris.  Most of the Old Iris' was here when we bought the house which was built in 1978.  These purple and yellow iris are likely at least 30 years old and have been moved to several locations over the years as they were divided.  The other Old Iris are at least 25 years old as I put in some within the first few years we moved into the house.  They thrive in very poor soil and are good for keeping the steep slopes from washing out as they are planted very shallow. The New Iris' are all in one bed for 2013.  They are in well-prepared soil.



Old Purple Iris



 Old Yellow Iris


Old White with Yellow Iris


Old Mini Iris


Old Pet Cemetery Iris - This iris was located in the area where the children had buried their pet birds, hamsters, and gerbils by the old cedar tree that was recently removed.  I left the iris.


 Keith's Old Deep Yellow Iris' are his favorite located next to the shed.





Old Deep Purple Iris with a Honeysuckle Tree behind it located near the shed.




This is the New Iris Garden for  2013


New Iris Garden with Dangerous Liaison (left) and Swingtown (right) Iris' 1st to bloom in May - all New Iris' have high fragrance.



New Iris - Dangerous Liaison



New Iris - Delirium smells like root beer!



New Iris - Gingersnap


New Iris - Drama Queen




New Iris - Luxor Gold (Keith's New Favorite)


New Iris - Swingtown



The lilies begin to bloom in June.  As with the iris, I have Old Lilies and New Lilies.  The Old Lilies are basically the Native Missouri Day Lilies.  They were here when we bought the house in 1986 and were located in one small area under the eve spout at the corner of the house in the backyard.  Now they are all over as I divided several times.  They thrive in very poor soil and are good to hold the steep slopes.  They can be seen on many road ditches all through the state.  The Old Exotic Lilies (2005) and the New 2013 Lilies are in well prepared soil beds.  The Old Exotic Lilies have been divided for the first time for 2013 which expanded the one bed into two more excess areas for now.  The New 2013 Lilies have a prime new bed location by the new sidewalk in the backyard.  They are the most fragrant and drought resistant and bloom late July into August when many other flowers are done.  August has always been a challenge to have beautiful color and cut flowers.



Native Missouri Day Lilies


Old Exotic Calla Lily Bed located near driveway in front yard.


Old Exotic Calla Lily; also have solid dark pink and pink/white calla lilies.  These make the best cut flowers as they last at least 3 weeks in water vases.


Old Exotic Lilies - Edge Ahead, I have many excess bulbs transplanted for 2013.


New 2013  Lily Garden - L.Regale Lily is highly scented!


Old Exotic Lilies - Pink Marquise Lily has many bulbs divided for the 2013 garden.


Old Lilies - Stella D'Oro is a great grouping lily typically seen lining flower beds and along pathways.  They stay short and re-bloom over and over until frost.


Old Exotic Lilies - Yellow Asiatic Lilies look very well in groups but don't last past June.


Old Asiatic Lily


Old Exotic Lily was marked as a Tino Lily which had more of a reddish center last season but looks faded this year.  

New 2013 Lily Garden - Arabian Red


New 2013 Lily Garden - Black Beauty is known for it's strong fragrance and drought resistance.


New 2013 Lily Garden - Casablanca has a very heavy texture and scent.


Old Exotic Lily Garden - Stargazer will grow in excess of 6' in height and the strong fragrance can be smelled across the yard!


New 2013 Lily Garden - Star Gazer is a newer version of the old variety but has some catching up to do in size and fragrance but this its first year.


Old Exotic Lily Garden - Svengali started in early July and looks like it will continue into early August.  There are many bulbs transplanted in excess gardens.

Right now the Blackberry Lilies are in bloom and will continue with lovely spiky iris-like greenery well into the Fall.  The Surprise Lilies (Naked Ladies) will show up suddenly on the hottest, driest days in August.  There is still more to come!


Blackberry Lilies are a Missouri Wildflower.  They are Self-Seeding as well as Perennial. They are called Blackberry because the seeds group together like large blackberries replacing the flowers which is just about as pretty!


The Blackberry Lily is highly draught resistant blooming in late July until mid-August.  The beautiful greenery adds striking color to the landscape well into Fall as it doesn't brown like the similar-looking iris leaves.


These are Surprise Lilies better known as Naked Ladies.  This photo was from last year as they do not come up until the hottest, driest time in August.  They just pop up from the ground from bulbs on a naked stem; no leaves!  I don't think they are native to Missouri but about every yard has some as they are very old and easy to divide and survive our winters.


This is a 2013 photo taken in early March of the same area as the above photo.  The greenery is about the earliest greenery that comes up even before tulips!  It is lush and welcomed but browns and dies completely in a few weeks with no flowering until mid to late August.  Surprise!  Just when you forget about them, they will WOW you with those dancing naked ladies in your yard that are also highly fragrant!

So here it is late July and the rain was not enough so I will have to go out and water my lovelies in the morning.  It is the beginning of drought season here in Missouri so having plants that need less water is best.  I have met my challenge of having plants of color and thriving in the yard from March to mid-October with cut flowers in the house.  I even have excess to share with neighbors and friends.  In late August the Blackberry Lilies and Naked Lady Lilies will be dominant with several Crepe Myrtle bushes in bright magenta color.  When the rains come back in September and October, we will begin the mums and continue with the marigolds.  These colors will brighten the browns, golds, and oranges that come with Autumn.  This year I am growing Exotic Pumpkins!  I hope to have some wonderful photos this Fall.





2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is an impressive garden. I love the landscape. I can imagine how peaceful a stroll would be with all those flowers in bloom. And with fall just around the corner, I'm excited to see your next garden update. -Kevin @ Pro Cut Lawn Care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kevin! The recent rain has brightened up my perennial flowers and I should have some new photos soon...

      Delete