Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2016

5th Retirement Anniversary - Real Estate Issues

One of the advantages of writing a personal retirement blog is the ability to look back on posts and reflect on the paths I have chosen that led me to where I am now and where I'd like to be in the next five years.  I am happy that I organized this blog in a way that allows me and the reader to see my goals' progress in the top ten categories of relevance to me.  Many of my posts cross into more than one category or "Label."  It is a good time for me  to look back from the first post in each category or "Label" and summarize the highlights to see the level of progress made in my first five years of retirement.  I can more clearly see a path ahead and adjust or make new goals.

I will write ten posts on this 5th Retirement Anniversary addressing each category or "Label." I can also see the stats and which posts have had the most public views.  At this time, my blog had 22,400 views.  That's about 100 views per week in 18 different countries around the world!  It is very rewarding to know that there is interest in what I have to say.  By helping myself I must be helping others with similar interests.  It is an incentive to continue.

Here are my brief summaries of the first five years of retirement and goal adjustments I want to make at this time.  If you want more information on a subject, please scroll down on the right side of the main page and click on the first months in 2011 where you will see where I'm coming from.      
My journey continues....

Real Estate Issues


This is a simple subject to summarize!  After 30 years in the business of real estate valuation, my interest has completely played out.  It took awhile to let go especially when it was so much a part of my life.  It was especially exciting as I was in the highest position as manager of the State Tax Commission of Missouri in my final years.  I was making all the changes needed so the department was more transparent and in line with what the legislature and private sector found acceptable.  I left it better than I found it.  

There was nothing left to do that interested me.  My hands-on experiences were statewide and there was no higher position of authority available in this state.  I had the satisfaction of implementing all the policies and procedures of the highest standards set by the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO).  I was even directly involved in the development of the new Ratio Study Standards working in person with the IAAO leadership in Kansas City, Missouri.  I was in regular conference with other Ratio Managers like myself in states such as Texas, Virginia, and California who were very interested in the precedent we were setting in Missouri.  I was in charge of the largest department of the State Tax Commission with up to 30 commercial appraisers in my charge.  I had the final say in real estate valuation oversight for 114 counties and the City of St. Louis.  I testified in depositions.  My only accountability was to three commissioners who were appointed by the governor.  I was encouraged to "tell it like it is" as our department needed more transparency according to the state auditor, Clare McCaskill, in 2005.  I did all that I said I would do in making changes in just 18 months!  Then it was getting more and more political with more of a "tell me what I want to hear" attitude from the commissioners.  I got bored and wanted to get back in the field and actually do the job as it should be done and work from my home office.  I tired of living away from home in the city alone.  I was eligible for retirement.  I worked three years more doing what I loved the most - working in the field with a home office close to home just like I did when I started only with maximum pay!

Even before I retired, I began burning hard copy files of commercial appraisals and market data...thousands of appraisals!  I was required to keep copies and work files for five years; seven if in litigation.   The final years of appraisals will be burned shortly.  Burning files is very therapeutic. The act unburdens me as well as helps me let go and be free to move forward!

After I retired, I completed my required continuing education and licensing requirements just in case I wanted to get back into business on my own.  People told me I would be bored in retirement and may want to work part time.  That never happened to me.  I have been a Limited Liability Company since 2003 mostly for tax purposes and security should anything ever happen to my public employment I could work for a bank or start up my own business.  I never did need it or do any appraisals in addition to my public employment.  So as of June 2016, the time ran out on my General Certification and license as I decided my interest in real estate no longer existed.  I am truly retired.  I will be retiring the subject of Real Estate in my blog with this entry.  It has served me well!








No comments:

Post a Comment