Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2016

5th Retirement Anniversary - Financial Planning

One of the advantages of writing a personal retirement blog is the ability to look back on posts and reflect on the paths I have chosen that led me to where I am now and where I'd like to be in the next five years.  I am happy that I organized this blog in a way that allows me and the reader to see my goals' progress in the top ten categories of relevance to me.  Many of my posts cross into more than one category or "Label."  It is a good time for me  to look back from the first post in each category or "Label" and summarize the highlights to see the level of progress made in my first five years of retirement.  I can more clearly see a path ahead and adjust or make new goals.

I will write ten posts on this 5th Retirement Anniversary addressing each category or "Label." I can also see the stats and which posts have had the most public views.  At this time, my blog had 22,400 views.  That's about 100 views per week in 18 different countries around the world!  It is very rewarding to know that there is interest in what I have to say.  By helping myself I must be helping others with similar interests.  It is an incentive to continue.

Here are my brief summaries of the first five years of retirement and goal adjustments I want to make at this time.  If you want more information on a subject, please scroll down on the right side of the main page and click on the first months in 2011 where you will see where I'm coming from.      
My journey continues....

Financial Planning


Most of the anxiety experienced in the first year or two of retirement has subsided.  My original plan worked well and any adjustments were minor.  I had the expertise of the State of Missouri Compensation Plan for at least 25 years which was helpful as I grew to understand financial choices I needed to make.  Along with Missouri State Employees Retirement (MOSER), I was actually well prepared.  This benefit which goes with being a state employee was the main reason I became a state employee instead of taking my skills to the private sector (commercial mortgage lending) where I could have made three times the amount of money.  I choose the stability and security path and that has been reflected in my investment choices as well.  My choice to become manager raised my salary for the three years that my retirement pension was based on.  It was a good plan.  It also was reassuring that my plan was approved by my husband who is a Financial Advisor for the world's largest bank.  But most of all, I had the advice and final numbers adjusted by my son who had completed his Masters Degree in accounting, investments, and statistics.  

The biggest change came when I turned age 62 and one third of my pension was stopped because I was expected to take Social Security.  I had thought I could hold out until I was older and eligible for a higher amount.  It turned out that there were some marital strategies available.  Although the apply and suspend did not benefit us as it did for most married couples where one spouse didn't work much.  For us it was good for me to take minimum amount at the earliest age and then my husband continues to work until age 70 which is the maximum amount.  At age 67, my husband applied for spousal benefits because I had signed up.  He was eligible for about half of what he would have gotten at age 67 if he had not been working.  The benefit is that we now have money to remodel the house before he retires at age 70.  My widow benefit would then increase to his amount, the higher of the two.

So my challenge in the next five years is to stay on budget.  My investments had not been increasing much but not decreasing either.  The pension and social security increase each year a little.  Hopefully, I will see more of an increase in the investments.  There's no new money going in and my expenses are manageable.  I would like to have increase from investments to do some more extensive traveling.  When my husband retires in a couple years, I expect his spending to decrease as commuting 150 miles four days a week was expensive.  I hope he makes a budget he can live with too!  Our finances have always been separate and likely will stay that way.










No comments:

Post a Comment