Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Outdoor Activities

I have been involved in many different Outdoor Activities over the years.  I have always looked for things that can get me outside.  I was exposed to many opportunities from an early age and continue to seek new experiences.  I was fortunate to grow up in northern Virginia so close to Washington D.C. for the best sightseeing and incredible diversity in people and activities.

Earliest good memories are ones that involved going outside to play.  I was fortunate to grow up in a time when it was a safe enough thing to do as long as I was back home by the time the street lights came on and checked in somewhere in the neighborhood for lunch.  I can only remember one time I got into trouble as a preschooler when I followed a dog out of the neighborhood and had everyone looking for me.  I was probably missing a couple hours.  After seeing how I upset everyone, I was sure to tell someone where I was going after that.  I was trusted and I had a great deal of freedom growing up which expanded eventually about a mile radius.  In my hometown of Alexandria, Virginia, this included the woods and creek area between my home in Braddock Acres and Thomas Jefferson High School, Backlick Shopping Center, and about 2-3 other similar neighborhoods such as Edsel Park and Sleepy Hollow.  I learned to drive from my friend, Anna Strictland, who took me to the Pentagon parking lot 5 miles away and my Dad who taught me in everyday situations. Shortly after my 16th birthday, I received an old red Mustang that took me into nearby Annandale to the George Mason Library and social activities at the nearby churches such as John Calvin's and St. Alban's for dances on my own.  By the time I was 17, I was venturing as far away as Georgetown in Washington D.C. about 7 miles away.  Then I left home for the wide open spaces of Iowa.

It was during my life in Iowa that I expanded my Outdoor Activities to include fishing, hunting, gardening, motorcycling, swimming in natural waters, snow mobiling, archery, trapping and being around farm activities.  I had some early exposure to farm activities as a child when my family spent summers at my Uncle John Hudak's farms in Ohio and Michigan.  He had three farms and three sons.  So many good memories being around good old fashion farming such as milking cows, growing all kinds of grain and hay, harvesting, gardening, chickens, pigs, working dogs and cats, neighboring farms and the whole community.  It was from these wonderful experiences in rural Ohio that I realized I did not belong to the city and found my place in rural America.

After meeting and marrying my husband, Keith, in Iowa, together we discovered the joys of canoeing.  On a canoe trip to Missouri in 1978, we fell in love with the state and knew this was the place for us to grow.  After securing employment and a place to live, we prospered and found a life intermixed with the natural outdoors and the especially pristine waters.  We live on a hill above the Pomme De Terre River which is about 3 miles from the Pomme de Terre Lake.   This lake is the smallest of a US Army Corps of Engineers flood project that also includes Lake of the Ozarks, Stockton Lake, and Truman Lake; all within 30 minutes drive.  There is also my favorite Bennett Springs State Park about 30 minutes from home where some of the best fly-fishing for trout can be found in the state. The watershed is environmentally clean with no fertilizer or chemicals from modern farming practices and a natural filtering system with predominant limestone bedrock.  2-3 hours to the south are more lakes -  Taneycomo, Bull Shoels, Table Rock and the wonderful Roaring River State Park for trout.  Farther east would be another great area known as the Mark Twain National Forest with excellant trout fishing and streams for canoeing and kayaking.  With so much water so close to home, our Outdoor Activities most definitely center around water.

I have listed the Top Ten Outdoor Activities that have my interest now and will expand on each as I make time for the activity:

1.    Gardening
2.    Walking
3.    Biking
4.    Fly-Fishing
5.    Kayaking
6.    Swimming
7.    Boating
8.    Festivals and Events
9.    Travel & Sightseeing
10.  Motorcycling

No comments:

Post a Comment