Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Food

As simple as the title is, it is one of the most difficult topics for me.  Such a basic need yet it fuels every aspect of life affecting the quality.  It is difficult for me because I am diabetic. I do not process carbohydrates normally and must be aware of everything I consume as well as the amount of exercise and activity I have daily.  If that wasn't enough, I also must be aware of added stress.  Keeping all these things in balance is a chore. When I find a comfort zone, things change not because of anything I have done wrong, but because it is a progressive disease.  The levels of medication are progressive also.  So I will discuss how I manage my Food as an efficient source of energy that is simple to prepare and tastes good.

I am currently attending nutrition classes for the third time.  My first classes were immediately after my diagnoses in 2003.  I managed well with the custom menu plan and was in good control until three months into my new job as a manager which required I move to the capital city and live alone during the week.  It was a stressful 18 months compounded by a neck injury that required surgery in 2008.  I needed medicine to help control the diabetes and attended my second sessions of nutrition classes during this time in 2006.  It has now been five years since my last class and I am in a good place now with much reduced stress and completely recovered from my surgery.  I have also have a new injectable medication that works very well for me once per day.  I do not need insulin yet. 

I have a great attitude and want to manage my Food to have the best quality of life possible in my retirement years.  The meal plan is one that is good even for those that are not diabetic and want to balance their carbs, fats, and proteins.  At this point, it is not difficult anymore for me to understand the Physiology of Food.  I highly recommend anyone who does not understand food as a fuel to seek the advice and custom meal plan of a licensed Nutritionist. There is just too much bad information out there to do it yourself. Because I am a diabetic, my health insurance covers the large part of the expense. I will include some online sources that were made available to me that can be helpful for everyone.

The other aspect I will address is the Psychology of Food.  It is my biggest challenge keeping food interesting and flavorful.  My injectable medicine, Victoza, works for me to decrease my appetite and tells my brain I am full.  This allows me to really look at food and think about it before I decide to consume it.  I can watch those wonderful cooking shows on TV without getting hungry.  I can take my time looking over a whole menu in a restaurant for just the right combination of flavors to satisfy.  I almost always need a box to take half home for another meal!  I can take time to plan my own menu knowing there is nothing I cannot eat if I know how each food item contributes to the whole meal and is in its right portion. 

It has taken years to be in a position where the work of food planning is not consuming me.  I started out by writing everything I ate in a little portable notebook trying to stay on my Nutritionist's Meal Plan that required me to count carbs, protein and fats.  After a year of discipline in 2003-4, it became second nature and didn't need to write it all down anymore.  Not that I am perfect in my eating choices, but I developed a sense of knowing when I was not and why.  I have all the tools to help me get back on track.  One bad choice can usually be corrected in 24 hrs.  Two bad choices likely will take three days to straighten out.  I have to decide if the bad choice is worth the added efforts; sometimes it is, especially when eating out with family and friends on a special occasion!

There are many hidden obstacles to overcome and I know where and when to watch for them.  Some of these obstacles include hidden sugars in processed and restaurant food.  Stresses can come from many directions and greatly affect my metabolism.  These stresses include the common cold or any sickness or injury, irregular work or recreation schedules that don't allow the proper amount of time between meals, emotional issues involving loved ones and friends, worry and anxiety about external issues in the world around me I can't do anything about.  Stress releases the hormone, cortisol, which wrecks havoc unless it is released properly.  This is mostly done by regular exercise.

The Food issues in my life are not so different than normal people except that I must be conscious of the need for balance and cannot rely completely on my intuition. The consequences of ignoring the need for balance is an increasing poor quality of life and an early death.  The challenge is to not get depressed when I am doing all the right things and still cannot control my blood sugars at times.  I know I must work with my medical team as this disease progresses.  A big part of avoiding that depression is to keep food in a nutritious and happy place in my life enjoying it as much as possible.  This can be done by making good choices when I cook, sharing good dining experiences with people that include good conversation and atmosphere, and keeping the stresses in my life to a minimal.  I love to exercise and have no problem doing it at least three times a week for at least 30 minutes.  Typically, I do 3-4 times per week for 60-90 minutes.The good part of exercising is that it does increase my appetite enough for a nice treat that I know I can afford. 

I will use this area of my Blog to share my current Meal Plan that I will receive from my Nutritionist in a couple days and add recipes that work for me and for anyone that is interested in this healthy meal plan.  I will also update my online sources to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment