Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

My Good as Gold Neighbor, Goldina Trollinger

Goldina came to the neighborhood shortly after her husband passed away sometime in 1997 and bought the log-styled home I could see from my house.  She called it her dream home.  It had a nice wrap around porch with a swing and she spent many hours out there always open to visitors.  I would usually stop and visit on my walks to the store or walking the dogs or on my way home from bike riding.  She always like to talk about her time on the farm in Avery. She sold the land when Truman Lake was made as it covered a large part of the area she knew well.  She still went to church in the area.

She was certainly a country girl and as solid and true as can be in character.  She had so many skills for living that are now hard to find in more recent generations. She always quilted and kept a frame open in her basement most the time. I listened and learned from her about living on the land.  Many times I would take her back to her old homestead area although the buildings were now gone.  We found many wild greens to eat and plants that I brought back and transplanted in my yard.  The ones that have thrived are the wild blackberry iris and the gooseberries.  I had transplanted many black raspberries but they died out after a few years as did a wild rose.

Keith and I would take Goldina blackberry picking and we took a nice photo of her she put on her wall for many years of her in a blackberry patch.  Keith loved to talk to her too and we would sit with her many evenings on her porch.  She made the best gooseberry pie.

There was a big celebration for her 80th birthday at the Senior Center in Wheatland that Keith and I attended.  When she turned 90, our local State Representative, Larry Wilson, presented her with a framed Resolution for the great milestone. 

There were many health issues over the years and she went into them in great detail when asked how she's doing.  I remember how hard it was for her to walk with her bad hips.  Then she had them replaced and was better for several years.  When she had problems with her leg, she didn't get out much and I also had some health issues that kept me home more and we did not visit so much in recent years.  She traveled a lot to see her family all over the country. Then I heard she had cancer in her leg.  Last Spring Keith and I went to visit her and saw that she was not going to get better.  A short time later she moved to Bolivar to live in a place that gave her full time care.  The log home went up for sale and I hold the key to show prospective buyers.  At her sale, I was given two china bowls and an owl to keep for remembrance.

Today I got a call that Goldina passed away.  I am so glad I got to know her and that I stopped to visit her as much as I did over the years.  She enriched my life with her stories and her strong country character. I will listen some more on Sunday from everyone else that knew her and say goodbye for the last time.  She almost made it to her 92nd birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment