Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Czech Cousins Visit - Week 2: Branson's Titanic & Springfield's Wilson Creek Battlefield


When I knew my Czech Cousins were coming to visit for a couple weeks, I had no problem planning on what points of interest to experience while there were here.  They were well aware that we lived in a remote rural area.  Mostly, we make our own entertainment in a rural area involving nature and events relating to natural things.  The highlight of my flexible plan was the Stockton Black Walnut Festival.  Living within 45 minutes of four large lakes in a recreational tourist area may be enough for us since we decided it was the perfect place over 40 years ago.  The next week would have to be planned by the cousins.  They knew what we had to offer close by and with gas prices so high, I thought it would be enough to satisfy.  I'm glad they found some other places they wanted to see because I ran out of suggestions!  

The last few days were spent seeing places within a day's road trip.  They had rented a car from the Springfield airport and it pretty much stayed parked in our carport up until now.  They did re-visit Dierburg's Market on their own once at Lake of the Ozarks.  So now they offered to drive to the places they choose to see.  They looked online for what Branson had to offer.  They had so many shows, theme parks, shopping, lake activities, and a variety of unique places  to choose from and they decided on the Titanic!  If there was enough time, they also wanted to see Wilson's Creek Battlefield on the way home near Springfield.  I had been to see the Titanic many times but never experienced Wilson's Creek Battlefield.  I could handle a couple historical disasters in one day.  I'm game!



This replica of half of the Titanic with a huge iceberg in front is a site to see as you drive down the main Highway 76 on the strip which includes several miles of attractions that command your attention.  For example, we passed by a high rise building with King Kong hanging on outside and a Ripley's Believe It or Not building that was all cracked up like an earthquake hit it.  Just check the website for Branson, Missouri and you will find something for everyone; especially those with an imagination!


The Titanic is a self-tour.  After paying an admission fee about $35, each person is given a different profile and story of someone that was actually on the Titanic when it sank.  This includes all the rich and poor passengers and crew.  You are to experience the story of the Titanic's beginning and end as you walk through the 2-story structure and read and listen through headsets all the information alongside many authentic relics from the ship.  You will not know until the end of the tour if your profile person survived or not.  There is great detail all along the way!


The famous staircase is an amazing work of craftmanship!



Lucie, Beti & Paul







A replica of the highest quality stateroom


This is a mirrored hallway that is fun to experience the endlessness.




You can see the dark stary night on the helm as seen on that dreadful night as the fateful iceberg appeared and the failed attempt to steer clear of it!



It's not the Bridge on Deck #1 of the Starship Enterprise but it will take you to places no man wants to go again!


...or woman!




We did survive the tour of the Titanic but in the end, Lucie's and my passenger profile person also survived but Paul's did not.  The experience does leave one with a sense of sorrow not only for those that died but also for the horrible experiences of those that survived.  Of course, there were souvienirs to purchase before you leave.  I bought some candy that I ate immediately because that's what I do for a quick uplift.  There was a variety of replicas of the blue-stoned necklace made fameous in the movie; some inexpensive and some very expensive.  When I saw Lucie admire  one, I said, "You know if you buy it, you will have to get naked."  She found something else. 

After a late lunch at Olive Garden that Paul treated us too, we drove out of Branson and headed toward Springfield with the GPS as our guide.  There likely was a short-cut other than the non-specific directions I knew.  I had only drove by the signs to Wilson's Creek Battlefield.  I did travel a lot on Battlefield Street in Springfield as it is the main east/west street in south Springfield and even has the largest shopping mall named after it.  We arrived just as the visitor's center was closing but the employee saw us and let us in long enough to get a copy of the self-guided tour and other information that would be very helpful.  We had a couple hours until the park closed at sunset.

It was good to get out and walk a lot!  It was a beautiful late afternoon!  I have included the information boards found at each historic site for the reader to experience each site as we came upon it on our drive/hike. Here is more information about Wilson's Creek Battlefield if you are interested.  Spoiler Alert:  the South won this one!  Wilson's Creek National Battlefield














We just made it out of the park by the time the sun set.  There was a couple hikers a little ways behind us. I'm sure they would leave the gate open for them.  I am grateful that Paul was doing the long drive back to Hermitage as I was very tired and driving at night is not something I like to do!  It was a full day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment