Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2022

2022 Mid-Summer Excitement

Nothing exciting about turtles until you try to race them!  You would think that the heat of July would slow outdoor activities down to a crawl, but not true this summer!  



Fourth of July on the Hermitage square was full of fun things to see and do on this annual Market Day.  Our granddaughter shared a racing turtle with friends she met that also participated in the Big Turtle Race.



So much cheering and laughter as the slow movers picked up their little feet and moved forward encouraged by the youngsters.  There were several races using pretty much the same half dozen turtles with the age of the cheering children increasing for each race so there were more winners!  Everyone got some candy for participating.



A few days later, the event made the local newspaper, The Index.  I think this was the first time our granddaughter made the paper.  Her mother and uncle were in this publication many, many times with their childhood activities.



There's the look of determination!  Kayleen 'flew' to the finish line completing the foot race for her age group.  I can say for sure that none of the other runners did it in sparkling silver princess slippers!



The snow cone of many colors that Kayleen made herself was enjoyed.



This shaded hammock area under the redbuds at our house became a favorite swinging and relaxing place in the hot summer between activities in the gardens.



Lots of garden watering going on while Kayleen enjoys the cool breezes available from the swings and fun on the playground equipment on the Wheatland square next to our volunteer Master Gardener project at Settlers Village. I believe this is where she actually started swinging herself when I was not close by to push her.  She was doing it herself more and more now that she just turned five years old!



Sure glad the new slides are made of plastic instead of the hot metal slides I grew up with in the 1950s!  I do remember bringing a square of wax paper to sit on and it really made for a fast slide down in those old days.



Excuvating for what, I don't know, but she really digs it!



The grasshopper is right where it belongs far enough away from our lovely gardens to do no damage!



Our granddaughter got to explore her first manicure set.  I showed her what each tool was used for and she practiced on her  teddy bear and a little on herself.  She still needs to work on not chewing on her nails.  She's getting there slowly but surely as she sees me doing my ouw nails regularly, especially after gardening.  She also is very proud of her mother's professionally done nails and wants to be like her.



On the really hot days, we were in air conditioning inside working on the guest bathroom remodel.  This is Kayleen's bathroom when she stays with us.  She has recently begun sharing our master bathroom.  This is our final remodel of the 1978 built house which began about ten years ago.  The wallpaper glue was so old that it came off easity...still lots of fun to tear off big pieces!



So the gardens are at their height of growing and I found this newly emerged wheel bug on a hosta before it turned dark.  They are one of the good bugs!



Lots of hot sun makes for lots of sunflowers in my yard.  This tall one is a volunteer and looks to be the tallest with its early start.  I have a variety of sunflowers coming on now and too many to count.  I just love sunflowers!



Time for a trip to Iowa.  The first evening was spent with one of my dearest friends I have known since I first moved to Iowa in 1971-2.  Susan was in my graduating class of 1972 at West Monona High School in Onawa.  She has always lived in Blencoe where I first stayed with my brother until I met my husband.  We have made a lot of good memories over the years and she is the first one I try to get together with when I visit from Missouri at least once a year.  She has always been a good friend that I love and cherish unconditionally! Here I find her and her family camping at nearby Huff's Access on the Missouri River nearby.  She spends a lot of her retirement time here enjoying the outdoors.  Long talks and catching up went into the dark before I settle down at my brother's home nnearby. 



These Missouri River sunsets never get old!



My brother Ed and sister-in-law Dianna (Dee) are always there for me when we come to Iowa.  Well, unless they have a car club event which is at least three times a week since my brother retired a few years ago.  Always the car enthusiest since we were teenagers his love of muscle cars is beyond a small hobby.  We always prioritize the time we have between visiting friends and Keith's relatives and his car shows and AC jobs with great conversations and catching up with news.  They have a lovely house that is always welcoming and comfortable.  I love my brother and Dee and always feel welcomed here! 



My brother does have "A Few Goats in the Yard."  He has always had a GTO to rebuild and has completed his third one in recent years.  I'm happy he has found his passion besides working.  I have also noticed on this trip that he has taken up gardening which absolutely blew me away!



This was a special trip to Iowa to celebrate Keith's mother's 95th birthday!  Lottie had her dearest remaining family with her to celebrate at the senior housing in Onawa.  Keith's sister Charlotte and cousin Arlon were there with us and my brother and his wife also came as did my friend Jolene and many other of Lottie's friends and neighbors.



Keith and I spent a lot of time remembering the good times with Lottie at her apartment and seeing to her needs.



Our trip is never complete without a visit to the Maid-of-Honor at our 1974 wedding.  Jolene and her husband Al have the best garden and beautifully remodeled home we love to see progress over these many years.  We always have much to catch up on and good times to remember.  I love and cherish our friendship!


Keith and Al in front of his tall corn and massive tomato plants!


Let the party begin!  Charlotte did a fine job putting this party to gether and I helped where she needed me which was mostly cutting and serving the cake.  The Fourth of July theme and decorations were just the right way to go for this bithday time of year.


Happy 95th Bithday, Lottie Belle!  Let's do this again at your 100th!



So my brother has a new passion, I see, in addition to being a motor-head.  He says he had been inspired by our 40+ years of growing plants and landscaping to give it a try...and he loves it!  This is a big surprise to me because he always seemed to not be interested much in gardening when he visited us in Missouri. He would politely viewed our new projects when we walked around the farm (1978-1986) and house (1986-present).  Always commented what a lot of work it was and may not have seen that for us it was a great pleasure.  Now that he has retired for the most part, he says he "gets it."  His new projects include this wonderful patio and landscape around it.  It also includes some new flower beds highlighting his new love of petunias.  I admire that his petunias re-seeded themselves as he wanted; they are usually considered an annual.  Good job, Ed!  He says he has made some new gardening friends and expanded his interests beyond cars and work. That makes me very happy!





The Grill Master in his lovely petunia garden.



Back to Missouri and having our granddaughter stay with us again takes us all first back to Settlers Village to water the plants again.  It is becoming an unusually dry summer!  Fortunately, we have made some great choices of plants that tolerate the heat such as this Texas Green Eyes which is one of many Missouri natives that do very well with less water and need no fertilizer or insecticide.



Our little garden helper always gets her donut break! 



My Summer Selfie


Kayleen poses for a short time before running to the playground.



So far this has been an exciting mid-summer but not complete until our graddaughter begins to learn to blow bubblegum.  She almost gets it this time around! I manage to get one blown long enough for a picture!  Practice practice.



At our home gardens, the pesky animal trapping begins in mid-summer.  We always re-located the critters to a nice lakeside location far away.  Kayleen gets up close and personal with this oppossum who does not like to be looked at.  



This raccoon rascal was one of several surprises Kayleen and I found in the live trap each morning on our first walk around the yard.  They get well fed during the night from the trap bait before Keith wakes up and gets them to their new home.  Kayleen gets so excited to see them and wishes them well in their new home!



It is now time for the Ozark Empire State Fair in Springfield, Missouri.  Each year we either go to the State Fair in Sedalia or this one.  We couldn't remember which one we went to last becasue the world came to a standstill during the COVID 3 years and now is finally back to a new normal for public events.  There were many of the same old things to do and see but we always manage to find something new to us.  Here we watched a midievil jousting event!  Some lucky young fair maiden got the yellow rose from the winning knight in shining armour.  Just a few hands went up in the crowd to volunteer because she really did have to admit to being a fair maiden!




No comments:

Post a Comment