Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Lansdowne Resort - Retreat & Renew Day


Spa Minerale
This is my full day at Lansdowne Resort and it began by sleeping late in a very comfortable bed in my room on the 4th floor.  I had planned on checking out a white water kayak trip at Harper's Ferry near Purcellville, Virginia on the Shenandoah River.  I had kayaked that river before with my niece years ago and thought I might do it again.  But the weather forecasted scattered storms so I decided there was plenty to do around the resort.  But first things first…breakfast!

The award-winning daily breakfast buffet at the Riverside Hearth has a wide selection of items.  The chefs prepare made-to-order dishes from an exhibition style kitchen.  This is definitely a place to relax and enjoy good food and a spectacular view through the large picture windows overlooking the golf courses with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background.  The resort is only a half mile from the Potomac River.  After eating as much as I could (as this was a breakfast and lunch combined for me today) it was time for a walk.

I have included my photos in a musical album you can click on below.  But first let me tell you more about my day...

I began my walk enjoying the interior of the resort as this time of day there were very few people around and I could enjoy the decor and take my time with all the resort amenities.  There were several pool areas including the large water park with giant slide, small children's areas and an adults-only pool with waterfall outside as well as a hot tub.  Inside was a beautiful heated lap pool.  The health club had a variety of machines and plenty of them as well as TV screens all over.  There were several smaller gyms and fitness classes available.  I was too tired for the yoga class that evening but I almost made it.  It was nice to see the Rascal Room for children all neat and tidy ready for the next bunch of kids to have fun.  I reflected on all the activity we had last evening with eight children 12 and under and five adults!  

Then I walked around outside to see the tennis courts, basketball court, sand volleyball court, and the playground again.  This time I found the walking trail which runs along the golf cart trail.  The Golf Club was quite the exclusive clubhouse and restaurant.  I walked around and went inside the store where I purchased a cute outfit.  There is a dress code around the golf course and clubhouse.  I didn't stay long and went back to my room to get into some proper attire for a walk along the Potomac River which was a half mile away by way of the golf course.  There were several maps at at this spur of the trail...






…the trail is primitive and goes on for many miles.  I don't know how far I went but I kept walking until I had enough time to get back for my spa appointment late afternoon at the resort…probably walked for several hours.  On the trail I met a fawn.  The little deer was hardly afraid of me and let me get close to take some pictures.  There was some oyster mushrooms on a tree that was very cool to see.  Many native flowers and plants were observed.  I lingered at the waterfront for awhile and tried for the first time to take some time-delayed photos of myself (finally got a couple that are okay) in addition to a regular selfie.  I also found a very nice pair of men's sunglasses which I later gave to my son.  Then I walked back to the resort in time for my Luxury Day Spa Retreat which I booked for 190 minutes.

At the Spa Mineral, I came early to use the steam room, sauna, and hot tub. I relaxed with some herbal tea in the lounge until it was my time.  I had the Just Breathe Massage for 50 minutes, the Hydra-memory Facial for 50 minutes, and then the luxurious Mani/Pedi.  The bundle spa package is $100 less than each item separately.  

The attendants were different nationalities which is something I grew up around being first generation Czechoslovakian and miss a lot living in the mid-west.  My masseuse was a man from Greece, my facial was from a Pakistan lady, my mani/pedi was with a Colombian lady and a Vietnamese young lady joined us in conversation!  It is so cool to talk about the different nationalities with natives without any tension like is found in the small towns of the mid-west typically.   I was absolutely relaxed and ready for a quiet evening enjoying my room.  First I stopped and ordered a meal from Stonewalls Tavern on my way to my room; it was ready in just a few minutes.  Now I had the late evening to relax in my room, call my husband and tell him about my day, and sleep soundly.

I woke up early enough to get a nice swim at the indoor pool.  After a long shower, I got dressed, packed, and enjoyed another great breakfast buffet.  I had planned to take the extended departure up until early afternoon but the front desk told me since it was Labor Day Weekend, I could only stay about an hour longer than normal.  So I left as the crowd came to check in about noon.  I got in my rental car and drove to Arlington where I was to stay until Tuesday with my son and his wife at their high-rise condo minutes from their workplaces.  It all worked out for the best to leave a little early as my brother called to see if I was okay. About the time I arrived at my son's home 45 minutes from the resort, a severe thunderstorm came to the area I just left.  Good timing!





No comments:

Post a Comment