Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Lansdowne Resort - Family Day (revised)

Balcony area is the center of activity


Lansdowne Resort is a Destination Hotel and a place to "Retreat, Renew, Reconnect."  It is located about a half mile from the Potomac River near Leesburg, Virginia.  It is a few miles from my brother's home and about an hour from my niece's home so it is the perfect place for family time together.  I had stayed here before with my husband a few years ago when our son got married in Middleburg which is not far away.  I knew I would be back!

As I was making reservations online weeks earlier, I learned about what is means to be a Destination Hotel and signed up.  I love the perks given to members as it reminds me of the Priority Club membership I have had for many years with Holiday Inn hotel groups when I worked on the road a lot.  Basically, it allows members to have early check-in and late check-out, good discounts on food and spa services.  It also gives you free bottled water in your room and newspaper.  There are many other things too.  Just look at the Lansdowne Resort website for more information.

The first day of my vacation was a busy day!  I had to drive over two hours to the Kansas City International Airport getting up at 4:30 a.m. to make the early flight.  I choose the early flight because it was very cheap especially when bundling with a car rental and it was the only non-stop flight to Dullas International Airport, less than ten miles from Lansdowne Resort.  I was at the resort by noon and was allowed to check in and get settled before family arrived in the afternoon; my brother and his wife, my niece and her husband and eight children.  I was ready to entertainment all 13 of us using all that Lansdowne Resort had to offer.  They had a LOT to offer!

I put all the photos in a music album you can click on below.  But first I will tell you about all that we did that afternoon…

The front lobby has many comfortable areas to wait.  As soon as I got the arrival phone calls, I came down from my room to meet and greet everyone.  Of course, everyone had to see my room so up we went in the elevator to the 4th floor.  All eight children fit on my bed!  While everyone was taking it all in, especially the gorgeous picture window view, I took orders for pizza to be delivered.  The concierge  at the front desk was very helpful is so many ways!  He suggested a local family pizza place that is very good and delivers; Manhattan Pizza in Leesburg.  The order went in from my room and all the younger children thought their Great Aunt Beti has a big beautiful house!  That made the rest of us laugh but we kept the belief alive just like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny for now.  I had always visited the children at their house in the past so they didn't know where Great Aunt Beti lived.  I guess living here makes me that much "Greater."  Haha.

So with more suggestions from the concierge, we found the Rascal Room just off the exercise and indoor pool area.  We had planned to use the large water park on site but the weather had some lightening earlier and a storm was in the forecast.  The Rascal Room was more than perfect!  It had everything for all ages including all sizes of balls, and rough-house toys, building toys, cars, arts & crafts, and a Wii.  Best of all, the room had a tall ceiling and rubberized floor and sound-proof walls…just what energetic children (and their playful dads) need.  I believe everyone worked up a good appetite for when the pizzas arrived.

We were directed to the large Great Room by the balcony that had very comfortable chairs and many small tables and a large table with cozy fireplace atmosphere.  Here everyone had all they could eat supplemented by drinks and fruit brought in by parents and grandparents.  So when everyone had their fill and the leftovers were put in the car to take home for the children, it was time to check out the walking and biking trails on the property.  The trails were surrounding by scenic golf courses.  I found out later that we were on the golf cart paths instead of the walking/biking trail but, hey, when you are a group of 13 you go wherever you want!

As it was getting dusk, we found a playground and the children had more fun and energy to burn while the adults found benches to sit and watch.  By dark, we found our way to the fire pit in back of the resort just below the balcony and Great Room where we had the Pizza Party.  Thanks again to the helpful concierge I purchase s'mores kits and the staff lit the fire pit as we settled around in the dark.  I helped each person get their marshmallows on the provided sticks and into the fire they went.  I stayed busy until all the marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers were gone; enough for two each or more.  The children want some more s'mores but Mom and Dad said that was enough and they had to drive over an hour back home with all those sugared-up kids.  Then we got everyone to settle in and get comfortable for Grandpa's Ghost Story.  It all got quiet and ended with lots of laughs.

The final goodbyes for this trip to "Great Aunt Beti's house" ended with lots of wet wipes and kisses and hugs and pictures by the lobby.  Then they were all gone.  I was exhausted in the very best way after a very long and wonderful, family-filled day!  Called my husband and re-lived it all again as I told him about my day, then showered, went to bed and slept very well in a very comfortable bed.  I may do this all again next year!

Note:  Please check back again at a later date if the musical album below is not moving when you click on it.  It appears that there are some technical issues at the time of original download.  I will come back and try fixing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment