Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

McCarty Senior Center Service Project



This is my second year as a Master Gardener.  A minimum of 20 hours community service and 6 hours of continuing education is required to be in active status.  There are 12 different garden projects this year in Hickory County and the McCarty Senior Center is my main service project.  The Settler's Village is my secondary project.  By now I have over 80 hours and still going strong!  I enjoy all the work I do with the other members at the McCarty Senior Center.  Our service project includes Landscape, Garden, and Greenhouse.  I also helped set up a blog this year for the Hickory County Master Gardeners and contribute articles at times:   GARDENERS' COMPANION

After an unusual large amount of rain for August, the Master Gardeners have been busy and everything looks great!  The greenhouse is empty now but plans are in process for next year's plant order.  We grow plants from plugs and sell to the public in the early spring as our main fundraiser.  We also use the left over plants in our service projects.  

Here are some current photos of what is going on now...

Landscape

Gazebo and patio area

Memorial Garden

Building east side
Sign viewed from Highway 54

Tall Grasses and Salvia - east side

Cleome in Memorial Garden

Snapdragons

Hibiscus

Cannas, Impatients, Hibiscus

Lantana

Salvia, Butterfly Bush, Phlox at corner of new gravel paths


Vegetable Gardens

Peppers and Tomatoes 

More Peppers and Tomatoes

Sweet Potatoes

East side view with greenhouse in back

Garden middle viewed from greenhouse

Reaping what we grow!

First Major Harvest - the cook took one crate of peppers before I could get my camera!

From greenhouse to garden to kitchen back door.

This is the regular crew I am a part of at the McCarty Senior Center this year.  This is a frequent gathering place for breaks and sometimes lunch.  Love the camaraderie and community involvement!

Much planning, working, and...

...RESTING under the shading arbor bench by the greenhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment