Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Saturday, August 12, 2023

2023 Summer Events - Art Gallery Opening, Bicycling, & Hiking

Since moving  to Hickory County Missouri in 1978, we have enjoyed living in a lake recreational area that brings many tourists to enjoy all it has to offer especially for those that want to get away from a big city.  We love that people come here!  So. Many. People.  So when the weekend comes beginning Memorial Weekend until Labor Day Weekend, we enjoy visiting the city for all that it has to offer that we do not have in our rural lake community.  We especially like art museums.  We look forward to the Watercolor USA Art Exhibit each year and try to make the opening evening event early in June.  Such a variety of free food and drink served in a welcoming atmosphere of very interesting people from all walks of life! 



I thought it appropriate to begin with a selfie alongside the more youthful lady that is featured on this 2023 poster and gallery book of exhibits.  Not to compare myself with this beauty but to remind myself that I likely was this youthful when I started coming to Watercolor USA in 1978.  I may have had 'flowers in my hair' about that time too! This is the 62nd annual exhibit in Springfield, Missouri.  

I have included some of my favorites here.  The final one I show is called "Layers" by Irene Roman.  I voted it as my favorite choice.  The winner of the people's choice will be determined when the exhibit closes September 3, 2023.  

It was to my surprise that the subject of the "Slow Viewing Program" we registered for on July 19th featured my favorite "Layers" watercolor!  It was so fun and interesting with a dozen or so other people expressing themselves.  This was my first time for this kind of event and I was happy I went!

"Slow Viewing is a supportive practice for anyone who wants to develop their skills of interpretation, observation, and discussing art. Guests spend an hour carefully observing and speaking about the works on view, resulting in a deeper understanding of how they and others relate to the artwork and to each other." 


Song of Hope by Bev Jozwiak



Bomb Pop Stop by Alicia Farris



Time Passages by Thomas Sorrell



Basking by Ann Pember



Pink Day @ the Office by Lana Privitera



Alfredo & Winder by Scott Ponemone



Layers by Irena Roman



                        Layers by Irena Roman


Layers by Irena Roman was the watercolor I liked best and voted as the best for the People's Award to be determined at the end of this exhibit in September.  I studied it for most of the time we were in the gallery and enjoyed how it kept revealing to me; like layers.  I learned later at the Slow Viewing Program in July that the quote in the middle was from Emily Dickinson, "I am nobody.  Who are you?  Are you nobody too?"  It sets an ironic tone that combines lightness with self-negation.  Other thoughts about the overall subject include a sense of sisterhood over many years, possibly generational.  Then there are layers upon layers of changes that are pealed back to see who they were at one time but are fading away with age.  Probably all dead now but the viewer is left with a sense of joy that they did live and love.  What do you see?















When my gardens are planted and waiting for rain, I begin bicycling the Katy Trail as I have every year since 1994.  I have wrote extensively about my bike rides in this blog over the years and continue with new adventures again beginning in June and go until October or November.  In recent years, I concentrate mostly on the exercise and the joy it brings me to stop and smell the wildflowers, chase butterflies, and just experience the outdoors.   It doesn't much matter how many miles I do on a ride or how often anymore.  Been there and done that!  Just search my blog with "Katy Trail" in the upper right margin and you will see what I wrote about when I averaged 700-1400 miles per year.  Of course, this blog was begun in 2011 and most of my adventures were in the 1990s and 2000s.  I really need to digitize those photos and write about those times. I likely will when I slow down more!

This summers' bike rides include the Katy Trail between Clinton & Windsor & return, the Spur off Windsor for a couple hours then return, and then Sedalia to Green Ridge and return.  I will ride from Sedalia all the way to the Missouri Rive at Booneville (maybe to Hartsvlle or Jefferson City!) by the end of the 2023 season.  I did ride north of Windsor again in August as it was the time for wild plums and elsedrberries to ripen and I know a spot or two!  Wild plums make the best jelly!  Elderberies dry well for a healthy tea.  The best place was between Winsor and the High Point at Bryson.  


Dried the elderberries when I got home that afternoon and made the wild plum jam the next morning!


High Point of the 240' long Katy Trail at Bryson (955' above sea level) where I turn around and go back to Windsor.



Lunch time at the High Point at Bryson.  I will fill the bags completely on the way back as this is my turn around point.



Wild Plums



Wild Elderberries


 

Sedalia Depot



Sedalia Depot with a new, bright pink tee shirt that spells out Katy Trail in bicycles!  They have the very best shop there and I always find something new each year.



Trumpet Vines



Katy Trail Bridge over Highway 65 in Sedalia



Prairie Dock


State Fairgrounds in Sedalia



Button Bush



Residential Yards along the Katy Trail in Sedalia



Residential Yards along the Katy Trail in Sedalia have some interesting yard ornaments and amazing landscapes!




Yellow Coneflowers



Tall Bellflower



Wild Bergamot



Wild Petunia



Wild Bergamot with Bumblebee



Rest Stop for Lunch at Green Ridge



Green Ridge was a good turn around location at the trailhead.



Sedalia Fairgrounds



Information Board at the Trailhead



The Sedalia Depot is always a good place to start, finish, and just hang out with nice restrooms, great parking, good store and museum.



Sedalia Trailhead Selfie



Entrance to Sedalia Depot from car that shows good parking and grounds.



Soapwort smells wonderful!


Wild Black Raspberries




Wild Black Raspberries



Wild Prairie Roses Fill the Air with their Scent!



Trailhead at the turnaround point for me on the Rock Island Spur



Rock Island Spur under the Katy Trail where they cross.


The actual spur part off the Katy Trail (left) near Windsor onto the Rock Island Spur Trail.



Rock Island Spur



Info Board at the Trailhead near Windsor



            Information  Board at the Trailhead near Windsor



Winsor Trailhead has Rock Island Sur Sign by the parking lot



Windsor Trailhead has a nice native garden by the town's garden club.



Rock Island Spur Selfie



Rest time and dry out after a rain shower



My favorite and most frequented area to ride is between Clinton and Windsor



Drying out after a rain shower



Wild Dill











Wild Plums



Wild Gooseberries



Brown-eyed Susans



Wild Prairie Roses



Penstamin



Queen Ann's Lace



Elderberry



Spiderwort



Common Milkweed



My buke after riding in the rain!




Highest point on the Katy Trail is my turn around point back to Windsor.  Then I saw those black clouds that came up behind me and I knew I was going to get rained on!



Oriole hung around a long time and sang for me!



Two of the tree young armadillos next to the trail that were slow moving and not afraid of me.



Windsor Trailhead just after the rain






Windsor Trailhead Selfie


Lots of hiking close to home mostly includes the Pomme de Terre River Trail about five miles from my home in Hermitage.  The 3-mile trail is a regular hike in the Outlet Park below the Pomme de Terre Dam.  We are very fortunate to have such a well maintained trail and park so close to home and enjoy it with my husband and our granddaughter often.  

My next favorite and frequent place to hike is Ha Ha Tonka State Park in Camden County; about 30 minutes away.  We have been coming here since it was bought by the State of Missouri in 1978, the year we moved to Missouri.  We have seen many changes and improvements for its public use in all these years.  The castle ruins draw the crowds and I like it best during the week when there are less people.  There are many trails but I frequent the short, paved walk to the castle ruins from the parking lot and the hike to the Spring from a lower parking lot.  Where the Spring Trail ends are about 300 steps upward that leads to the castle ruins.  This is my favorite and I like it best in the winter when the temps are warm enough and the leaves are down from all the trees so you can see for miles and miles.  Also, there are less people!






















View of the Spring Parking lot from the Castle Ruins



View of the Spring Trail from the Castle Ruins.  Just imagine how different the view when the leaves on the trees are gone!





No comments:

Post a Comment