Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Monday, December 15, 2014

Virginia Road Trip 4/4 - Week 2 - Jake's Birthday

It's Jake's 34th Birthday and our last full day in Virginia.  Nicole likes to make surprises so she didn't tell everyone what the plans were for this special day.  She is a thoughtful and kind person who is also generous.  I am so happy she is my daughter-in-law!  I was given a little hint earlier about the event but the boys only knew that we were going into Washington, DC again for the afternoon.

The morning was again very relaxed and comfortable in their lovely condo.  My gift to Jake was his refurbished Janosik figure that my mother had given him when he was a little boy and he kept in his childhood room.  Hanging on the figure's arm was a flash drive that contained several hundred scanned photos of Jake I made from the day he was born until he was going to school at age six.  I also made three music photo albums so he could view all the photos pleasantly with three different songs; two from the time periods. We all watched the music photo albums together and I'm sure Jake and Nicole will come back many times and revisit Jake's early years.  I also included the Slovak folklore story of the Janosik and a video about Vienna, Austria where my father was born.  I hope Jake will get to know more about his mother's side of the family by learning about the past history through folklore and about his grandfather through the eyes of a man making a video for his children about the history and culture of Vienna.

Keith and Jake on Jake's Birthday Morning

Jake and his Janosik 
Keith's birthday gift to Jake was to take everybody out for brunch before Nicole's big surprise.    I don't recall the name of the restaurant but it was very popular and had an art atmosphere with poetry readings and literature and art objects all around.  The food was very good and we all ate well.  We got to experience a new concept in transportation I had never heard of…Uber Ride Sharing Service.  What I know is that Nicole got online and within 5 minutes a driver showed up both to and from our destination!  The location of the surprise was across the street from the George Washington University in Washington.

So it was now time for the big surprise!  Nicole treated us all to an event called PaintNite.  This is where people get together and drink creatively!  Nicole thought of everything when she even arranged to driver service so we all could partake in the wine.  There is an instructor and materials provided to paint a subject chosen  by the instructor for the occasion.  The wine and the acrylics flowed freely.  It was such  a unique concept and so much fun!  I am happy we have this wonderful and creative memory to share.



Keith and Jacob take a break.

Keith, Nicole, and Jake in progress while I take the photo.

Jake and Nicole having a good time!

Keith is happy with his creation.

Nicole has a fine painting.

I like my water the best.

This is the painting by the instructor of the US Capital Building we all were painting to our own interpretation.


Here is all our group with our masterpieces and with the instructor in the middle.  

Here's all our masterpieces side by side

Nicole, Jake, and Keith afterwards across the street at the statue in front of George Washington University.



Beti and Keith


Time for another meal so I treated everyone to dinner at another new place that Jake and Glencora had not tried yet in the area.  Toting our masterpieces in hand, we walked into Founding Farmers restaurant and had wonderful down to earth meals and desserts.



We got back to their condo in Arlington very quickly through the Uber service again.  It was a memorable day for Jake's birthday and we all were full from food and festivities once again.  I am so happy and thankful to have shared this day with loved ones!

The next day we all were up early as it was a regular work day for Jake and Nicole and we were packed and out of the building all at the same time.  The two-day drive home was a repeat of the trip out and we had no problems.  Bobi Kitty was settled in his special place in the back seat and he knew we were on our way back to Missouri this time!  It was a grand experience full of family and fun but there's no place like home!

No comments:

Post a Comment