Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2022

2022 - East Coast Road Trip; Part 1/5 - Family


Time for family.  

We were two years ready for an east coast road trip to see family members and then the pandemic hit putting it off another two years.  Lots of changes.  Everyone had a new house and location.  Nothing was the same except the love we have for each other that is unconditional and forever.

I had done extensive research before deciding to fly or to drive.  I had done both many times over the years since I left this area about 50 years ago and moved to the midwest.  Driving was by far the best option now for value and lower stress even though it meant a few days less time to spend with relatives.  Gas prices went up after our trip was over so our timing was good too.  Our roadtrip was done in 15 days through 8 states, driving over 2800 miles to visit 4 different households with a total of 23 family members seen.  So many more photos were taken that are now put into many personal musical slideshows in 3-5 minute segments that I can enjoy anytime and share with family and friends when we visit.  I have put together the highlights here for the reader to enjoy.  



Welcome to Virginia - Yes, "Virginia is for Lovers!"  I will always hold a special place in my heart for Northern Virginia where I was born and raised.  I am very happy to have many family members still in the state but out of that original area now.  Home has been Alexandria, Manassas, Ashburn, Front Royal area, Arlington, and Norfolk area.  I know that change happens so it is important to get together when we can and appreciate the time we have together.  I am blessed to have seen so many in close vicinity at one time on this trip!

First stop was my older brother John and his wife Corrine.  Just before they moved into this house four years ago, they stayed with us for ten days in Missouri as their old house sold and this new one was built.





The new house was built with a lake view from this back yard patio during the times when the trees do not have leaves. It is a gated community for 55+ year old residents.  It is a quiet and private place with well groomed uniform landscapes and houses.  The HOA and numerous community rules keep everyone well-behaved. The numerous onsite available organizations of varied interests keep residents entertained and busy close to home.  There are also groups to join for off property trips.  You can be as active as you want to be or find all the rest you want.  My brother has often referred to this home as his "final resting place." I think he has found his new retirement niche with a new 3-wheeler motorcycle.  It allows him fun with a group of people of similar interests and also is a safer vehicle to enjoy with his grandchildren who are now living closer in location.


The country club is a central location for activities and has an upscale restaurant.  The atmosphere is peaceful and relaxing.


The landscape is amazing and well-manicured.  Tennis courts, swimming pool, walking trails, boathouse with fishing tackle, and large parking areas are available for members and their guests.



Inside the clubhouse with my older brother John, his wife Corrine, me (Beti), and my husband Keith


We had a few meals at the clubhouse restaurant.  Above shows a good bowl of New England clam chowder.


Southern fried chicken breast over mashed potatoes, green beans, with an orange ginger sauce was my favorite chioce one day.



Amazing cheesecake found a place in front of me!

Quiet days inside the 2-level house was spent with its tall ceilings and open floor space with sparse furnishings; just enough to define the living areas.  The lower level was set up as a game room with a large bar.  The guest bedroom was comfortable with its own bathroom.  The Man-cave and She-room were also nearby with a nice walk-out patio area where I enjoyed myyoga exercises each morning.  The quiet atmosphere was apparent inside and outside.  Walks around the neighborhood were frequently greeted with friendly neighbors coming and going.  The walk around the lake was a special treat.  Kayaking is a popular activity and my brother has a couple available for use. 

During our week stay with my brother, Keith and I made a day-trip to visit his daughter Amanda and family which includes husband Vince and ten children ages 4-19 all living at home.  Max, Faustina, Catherine, Gus, Veronica, Clair, Cecilia, Mary, John, Alex, two dogs and a cat all live happily in a new larger house with a large yard.  God has blessed this family!




My neice Amanda and I


Keith, Amanda, me and the youngest, Alex


Me with new puppy Baxter and Mercy


A DIY lunch was set out with a variety of lunch meats and fixin's for sandwiches, fresh fruits & veggies and drinks.  Keith and Gus had come back from the local Walmart with a huge variety of everyone's favorite desserts as far as Gus could remember - several cakes, 4 gallons of ice cream, cookies, fancy kid-friendly cupcakes and sweets!  It was a hit with not much remaining by the time we left!


After a big lunch, most of us ended up outside to enjoy a beautiful afternoon in the huge yard.  Most of the younger kids had kept entertained building their own version of Jurassic Park.  They had cleverly gathered the broken end pieces of driveway pavement and added all their animal figures. They are all very creative!




After a lovely visit with my older brother and his family, it was time to drive south to Norfolk, Virginia.  The last time we saw our son Jacob and daughter-in-law Cora was nine months previously at our daughter's beach wedding in Florida.  It was only a weekend so we were prpared to stay a week this trip.  They had bought this new townhouse early in 2020 just before the pandemic shutdown.  We had several good visits when they had been stationed in San Diego, California previously.  It was so good now to see them in their own home all settled.  We had a great weekend spending time together for Mother's Day.  Eating out at local fine restaurants was a great treat.  We did so much while we were there with them and on our own when they worked during the week that I can only show the highlights on this post.  I will include outings to The Chrysler Art Museum, The Virginia Aquarium, The Hermitage, and The Virginia Botanical Gardens in separate blog posts because of the numerous photos I'd taken!  Here I will mostly include their beautifully designed home and some of the foods we enjoyed.  The time spent together in their home was memorable and gave me the peace of mind a mother needs that her son is living a happy life so far away.  



Jake & Cora


Cleo


Finn


Mother's Day Flowers


Dining Area and Coffee/Wine Bar


Living Room


Kitchen


Overview of Living Room from Kitchen Area


Book Nook and my yoga room


Book Nook and my nap room


First meal together


Dinner for me was a duck breast, spring veggies, faro, dates, carrot & sweet potato puree, with a couple Mezcal Old Fashions!



We love to visit museums!  After an interesting glassmaking demonstartion nearby, we walked to this museum and spent all Saturday together.  I have much more about what we saw on a post soon to follow!


Sunday was Mother's day and we were treated to an all-day visit to the Virginia Aquarium in Norfolk.  Again, I have much more about this amazing place in another post soon to follow.  

Monday through Friday was a regular work week for Jake and Cora.  We enjoyed coffee with them in the mornings before they left and a light dinner together when they came home especially if Keith and I had already eaten as they worked late sometimes.  We always had a cozy time together in front of the TV with wine and snacks each eavening during the week.  We did have a very special dinner out one night that was planned for the Eastern Seaboard.  It was about an hour's drive from Norfolk across the 17.6 mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.  It was a very windy evening and many semi trucks were not allowed to cross it.  It was fun to watch the high ocean waves crash almost to the bridge level!  The trip was well worth it as this restaurant was rated in the top ten for seaford in the state of Virginia!  What an awesome treat in the middle of the week!


Hook @ Harvey, a Cape Charles Bistro


View of ocean dock from our table at sunset


Keith & Beti and Jake & Cora



Cora's wine choice was perfect!


I had a salad of assorted greens:  cucumber, tomato, strawberries, & blue cheese with a champagne vinaigrette.


My dinner choice was the fresh catch of the day - Flounder with roasted asparagus and micro greens with edible flowers.


The Lobster Bisque is made with pickled lobster, truffle oil, and shaved truffle.


Desserts were the perfect ending to a most memorable meal!

On the day before we were to leave, Cora announced that she had officially put in her papers for retirement!  August of 2023 will be her first day of retirement after 21 years with the U.S. Navy.  Her family retired from Northern Virginia to South Carolina in recent years and they had traveled there for frequent visits and decided that is the place for them too.  Shortly after we got home from our trip, Jake told us they had a contract on a house in Charleston, South Carolina and he is actively looking for work in that area.  We are so happy for their decision and look forward to more new adventures to explore another new city by the ocean.  This time they likely will stay and maybe call it their "forever" home!

Our final stop to visit family was a little out of our way driving back to Missouri but very much worth the extra miles!  My Slovak cousin Milan Straka's daughter and her family had an extended leave from their missionary work in Thailand with Cru.  Jeremy's family lived in the northwestern end of South Carolina and they optained use of a house for their family so they could spend quality time together.  Unfortunately, Jeremy's father had some serious health issues while they were there and it was a blessing that Jeremy could help out. 

Keith and I arrived late on a Friday due to an hour delay to obtain a new battery for the truck.  Dara put together a very nice dinner and we had time to enjoy the kids before their bedtime.  We stayed overnight. The next day, we had a full morning and most of the afternoon before we continued on our drive back home to Missouri which we like to take two days with an overnight stop.  The weather was perfect for a walk and picnic around the local Botanical Gardens close to the house in Pendleton, South Carolina.  On the way back to the house, we stopped for ice creams at Clemson University where Jeremy went before he met Dara and began his missionary work with Cru over 15 years ago in Slovakia.  Together they have five children - Olivia, Boone, Elianna, Brianna, and James (ages 5 to 13 years). Dara has been very generous with her regular correspondance and time since she first contacted me when she was 16 years old. She is a week younger than my daughter who just turned 40.  Her father (my cousin) is one week older than me.  His mother and my mother were sisters in what was Czechoslovakia and is now Slovakia.  I love to hear about the many adventures in their missionary work that takes them to other countries!  While they await their next assignment, they are in Slovakia for a couple months to have quality family time with Dara's parents.  



This is the house Dara and her family used for a couple months in Pendleton, South Carolina.  They were also blessed to have the use of a van for their family while they were there.


Boone and Olivia in back row.  Elianna, Brianna, and James in front


Back patio and beautiful back yard area


Bedtime stories for James, Brianna, and Elianna


Olivia



Botanical Gardens - Keith & Beti, Boone, Dara, Olivia, Jeremy with James, Brianna, and Elianna in front


Keith, Beti, and Dara


I told Brianna about why people used to plant Lamb's Ear near outhouses long ago and all the kids laughed! Brianna liked the soft texture enough to put a couple "ears" behind hers and be like a "lamb." Such a sweetheart!


Picnic Time in the perfect quiet place in the Botanical Gardens

Just a few miles away was Clemson University where the students have an area where they sell ice cream.  This is Jeremy's alma mater.  


Jeremy and Boone 


Olivia, Dara, and Brianna enjoy their ice cream cones!


Boone gets done with his ice cream cone in a short time!


Elianna


I treated everyone to whatever flavor they wanted and they all are different in their tastes and in many other ways to make them the unique individuals I am so blessed to know!


Jeremy was so proud to show off his name on a brick at Clemson University.

 I am grateful that Dara video called her parents on her iPhone so we could say hello between Slovakia and the US.  We need her to speak English which she has helped us to keep our relationship going.  We left later that afternoon after a wonderful but too short of visit.  

We had a good trip back to Missouri and finally felt home again when we crossed the bridge over the Current River.



No comments:

Post a Comment