Introduction

Introduction: Mapping Out a Plan for the Rest of My Life and Enjoying the Journey

My Golden Years are an extension of the life I have lived up to retirement which began on December 1, 2011. I have organized this blog to include the top ten relevant topics shown below in the right side column in General Topics. Just click on one and you will see all that I have written on that topic. Click on the Most Current tab for chronological order of all entries.

I have addressed each topic in no particular order other than what is currently on my mind on the day I am posting. I started each topic by describing where I was when I began this blog and then exploring the possibilities of progression and any goals that I would like to meet. After that, I write about the path to reach that goal as it happens. Sometimes I just write about what is happening now.

I welcome any comments and questions either on this blog or email as I travel these paths and hope to share my growth with interested persons who may find some common elements in their own path to the rest of their life. I hope to use my skills as an appraiser for nearly 30 years to continue to observe different perspectives on a subject and reconcile into a conclusion that is of value to me. Please join me whenever you like. Email notice of new posts is no longer available so just bookmark the address.

Of most importance to me is the confidence developed in my intuitive skills over the years and it is that part of my character I am trusting to define value in my life. I believe change can be good and I can be enriched by believing in my true self using my intuition. The analytical part of my life no longer has a financial grip and I can let go of what absolutely made sense at the time in favor of what feels right now. I have done a lot of work since this blog began in 2011 and I hope you will join me as I explore this approach in My Golden Years.


Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Diabetes Meal Planning

PLEASE CHECK BACK AT THE END OF 2021 FOR MOST CURRENT MEAL PLAN.  YOU CAN TYPE "2021 Diabetes Meal Plan (Updated)" IN THE SEARCH TOOL LOCATED ON THE TOP RIGHT.

The following meal plan was developed by me using information I obtained from the American Diabetes Association. I attended diabetes education classes in 2004 from Citizens Memorial Healthcare (CMH) in Bolivar, Missouri and in 2006 from the Diabetes Management Center at the Capital Region Medical Center in Jefferson City, Missouri.  I use this meal plan as a guide and it serves me well especially when I get off track and need to get it together again. 


When I began, I wrote down everything I ate in a little notebook that I carried with me when I was not home.  I counted all the carbs, protein and fats and tried to stay close to my limit for each day.  I did this for a whole year.  I loved the discipline but it was not sustainable.  I can now use my journaling experience for that year along with label reading to help give me confidence in my intuition to know good nutrition and make good choices.

Recently in 2011, I attended a couple more update classes from CMH closer to home in Hermitage.  The dietitian reviewed my meal plan and said that counting proteins and fats are no longer considered as important for blood sugar control unless weight loss is wanted.  Carb counting is most important for good diabetic management.  I have included my most recent carb counting guide below





The Diabetic Meal Plan is a guide using my most typical foods but all foods shown can be replaced with a variety of choices.  I read labels on food purchases and from recipes to know and count the right balance of carbs, protein, and fats.  The are no foods I cannot have but I choose my carbs carefully so I can afford desserts because I LOVE DESSERTS. 

Here are some of my favorite links:

www.diabetes.org

www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/2/nutrition

www.forecast.diabetes.org





2 comments:

  1. ,Excellent post , very helpful informations , thanks for sharing..More insperations for lose weight , new lossweight tips have introduce us , thanks ,,!!

    Fast Lose weight diet Plans

    ReplyDelete